Legacy Mac OS 9 / X
For Mac OS X 10.4 (Universal binary): Audacity 2.0.6 (.dmg file, 30.9 MB) - use this also on PPC Macs on OS X 10.5 if you want to use Audio Units in Audacity
For Mac OS X 10.0 to 10.3 (Intel): Audacity 1.2.5 (.dmg file, 3.4 MB)
For Mac OS X 10.0 to 10.3 (PPC): Audacity 1.2.6a (.dmg file, 3.9 MB)
For Mac OS 9: Audacity 1.0.0 (.sit file, 1.5 MB)
(Unfortunately, we no longer have the resources to provide new versions of Audacity for Mac OS 9.)
Installation instructions (OS X .dmg files):
- Inside your Applications folder, create a folder called "Audacity"
- Double-click the downloaded .dmg to mount it
- Option-drag the whole of the .dmg contents (not the .dmg itself) into the "Audacity" folder you created
- Double-click the Audacity icon inside the "Audacity" folder to launch the program
Plug-ins and Libraries
LADSPA plug-ins installer - over 90 plug-ins.
Plug-Ins - Download additional effects and filters.
LAME MP3 encoder - Allows Audacity to export MP3 files.
Alternative Download Links
If you have trouble with your download, or need an older version of Audacity, try:
System RequirementsThe latest Audacity version requires Mac OS X 10.5 or later
- Audacity 2.0.6 is a legacy version for Mac OS X 10.4 (Universal binary) only.
- Audacity 1.2.5 is a legacy version for Mac OS X 10.0 to 10.3 (Intel) only.
- Audacity 1.2.6a is a legacy version for Mac OS X 10.0 to 10.3 (PPC) only.
- Audacity 1.0.0 is a legacy version for Mac OS 9 only.
Where Audacity is to be used for lengthy multi-track projects, we recommend a minimum of 2 GB RAM and 2 GHz processor (4 GB RAM on OS X 10.7 or later).