April 11, 2011: Audacity 1.3.13 released, and LinuxQuestions.org Audio Authoring Award 2010
The Audacity Team is pleased to announce the release of Audacity 1.3.13 (Beta) for Windows, Mac and Linux/Unix. This version now fully supports Windows 7 and contains many bug fixes plus a few new features. Please also obtain this version for Windows Vista and Mac OS X 10.6 rather than Audacity 1.2.
Please give us your feedback on 1.3.13 and our Nightly Builds to help us progress as rapidly as possible towards a new Audacity 2.0 stable version. Please subscribe to receive news of the next 1.3.14 Beta and all our future releases.
- Numerous bug fixes
- Crashes on Windows when clicking in the track or in effects dialogs.
- Crashes on OS X when closing or quitting.
- Warning (on by default) now provided when importing uncompressed audio files and when read-directly uncompressed files are missing.
- Full support added for later versions of the optional FFmpeg library up to current FFmpeg HEAD. More compatible U-Law/A-Law exports.
- VST effects processing restored to full speed. Hang fixed when launching on OS X 10.5 PPC with VST effects present.
- (OS X) Files imported from iTunes could create invalid characters in the .aup project file. See here for help re-opening older projects that have this error.
- (Linux) Crashes or stalled recordings using the pulse device. Crashes using Play-at-Speed if Audacity was configured with libsamplerate.
- Changes and Improvements
- Control Toolbar renamed to Transport Toolbar. Input/output selection moved from Mixer Toolbar to improved Device Toolbar (on by default).
- New "Sync-Lock Tracks" feature (turned on in the Tracks menu).
- Equalization now supports importing and exporting curves. Noise Removal improvements including new option to isolate noise.
- Improved Automatic Crash Recovery with all project changes autosaved.
- New "Extended Import" Preferences for specifying audio file importers.
- (Windows and Linux) Close button now quits on closing the last window while File > Close clears to a new, empty project.
Please see Changes in Audacity 1.3.13 for more on 1.3.13 and the Beta series.
Other recent news: Audacity was chosen as Audio Authoring Application of the Year in the 2010 LinuxQuestions.org Members Choice poll. LinuxQuestions.org is an active online Linux community. In the voting, Audacity received nearly 75 per cent of the votes cast. Thanks to everyone who voted.